Monday, November 14, 2011

Thoughts from the Valley: Perspectives on the Penn State Scandal

I'm a proud Penn State alum (as well as a normal human being), so the scandal rocking Happy Valley has been dragging me through a series of emotions that I'm still trying to come to grips with.

I haven't felt adequate to comment on this catastrophe. Thankfully, others are more equipped than I. So, I've compiled a list of online articles I've enjoyed and found insightful in my own quest to understand this situation and deal with it, for my own soul and sanity. Here goes...


First and foremost, here's a fascinating Biblical perspective on this tragedy by a good friend of mine who has worked at Penn State for more than ten years. 
A Deficiency of Love: what the Bible has to say about obligation, love and the Paterno in all of us.


These two articles by Grantland writer Michael Weinreb helped me process this situation. He's got some great perspective as a Happy Valley native and diehard Penn State fan.
Growing Up Penn State: an initial reaction to what the scandal meant for him as a Penn State devotee.
The Culture of Unrest at Penn State: as PSU students gathered to protest, Weinreb tries to explain the       reasoning behind the rioting.


Here's a blogpost from the most loyal Nittany Lion I know, the Pretentious Filmmaker.
The Penn State Scandal:his time at Penn State and whether his memories will be tarnished forever:


One of my best friends recently posted this reaction on Facebook--
I am so sad for Joe Pa: defending the coach he's come to love and respect.


One more Grantland writer, Charles B. Pierce, encourages us not to look away from the scene of the crime.
The Brutal Truth about Penn State: A problem that can't be prayed or wished away.

I know how my heart works--it wants to move on, to forget, to brush this whole mess aside and pretend it doesn't matter. Instead, I need to lean in to the shame, process through it and come out the other side wiser and stronger, more ready to live the best way possible. Each one of these posts has helped me in the process, and I recommend them all to you.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment